Wednesday, August 02, 2006

But how will people find Chainki?

A very common question I get asked when saying that I have a website, is how will people find the site? I suppose the underlying thought is that I will have to spend millions advertising the site.

Not so.

If I had a website for, say, a hotel in London, just like any other hotel in London, then I suppose I would have to spend money advertising it. But in the case of Chainki the answer is that people will find it via the search engines. And the open secret of getting it into search engines is to have valuable content - content that is unique enough that people will want to go to your site rather than anywhere else.

Here is an example of a search on Google for sosl transistor radio
which someone had done and they had found Chainki (I have access to this sort of info from the logs).

When I look at that page Chainki is in 2nd position (search engines are changing all the time, and it may not be there when you repeat the search). The particularly interesting and satisfying thing for me is that although this is the 111th entry in the Google list (2nd position, but on page 2 of 100 results per page), the person doing the search decided that the Chainki entry looked close enough to what they were looking for to go into Chainki.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home