Tuesday, December 05, 2006

"Oh, it'll be full of spam". Will it?

One of the initial reactions to Chainki is that, since absolutely anyone can edit, it will soon be full of spam. After now nearly 6 months of being working as a site, how is this prophecy of doom working out? Pretty poorly actually.

When, to start with, there was just me looking out for spammers, there was a little bit, but it was easy for me to cope with it. Now, as the site has grown and there are more and more visitors, true, there are more and more spammers, but also there are also more and more editors who take the time to stomp out any spam they see. Overall, I think the percentage of spammers to people who remove spam remains highly against the spammers.

And just imagine my personal delight when I now see that someone else than me has removed spam.

It shows that the system is working. It shows that the good guys in the wiki world always outnumber the bad guys. It has worked for Wikipedia, and I don't see why it should not work for Chainki.

The really good news as far as I'm concerned is that it looks that as the site grows in visitors, so the good guy vs. bad guy balance will probably stay the same, and so Chainki will never be full of spam.

I for one will be very happy about that.

2 Comments:

At 2:06 am, Blogger pennymachines said...

Thanks Hugh for creating Chainki. I wish it the great success it deserves and will link back to it. In August 2005 I aired my frustration with the dmoz model, suggesting Wiki was the way to go: Adopt Wikipedia model - or die.
Fear of Spam was the most prominent of serveral reasons given for why a truly open directory wouldn't work. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say.

 
At 5:44 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Why are you nofollowing all links?

I would personally be incentivised to add links if the links actually counted for something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home